couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject joins, reprise
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:57:50 GMT
I know this join discussion has come up again and again, and with multi-key
get it's really not that hard to do a join in two steps. But I was playing
with include_docs and it got me thinking -- couldn't there be a dereference
parameter on views that acted like include docs? So you could pass in
?dereference=tags, for instance, and in the return the view could grab all
tag attributes and dereference them if their value is a string containing an
existing _id. This would be a *real* join, all without any complicated
accounting -- and it would put an end to the whole *but sql can do this*...
whining.

Bonus points for being able to pass in a list of dereference attributes
(?dereference=[tags,comments] or ?dereference=tags&dereference=comments) and
even better, if the given attribute's value is a list, iterating over it and
dereferencing any string containing an existing _id. This would be far nicer
than sql joins -- you would essentially get real many-to-manies sans
join-table awkwardness.

Does this seem logical? Doable?