couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Largest CouchDB dbs?
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:38:19 GMT

On Nov 3, 2008, at 05:53, Jonathan Ginter wrote:

> I have a similar issue.  I am interested in using CouchDB to host a
> 200+ GB database that will receive well over 200 million documents
> per day.  Moreover, the data must roll out - i.e., constant
> background purging - and also support UI queries.  And this is just
> a starting point to match the abilities of the relational database
> we are already running.  I will want the DB to scale up from there.
>
> If there is no hope of the CouchDB being able to handle all of that
> - regardless of how many machines we deploy - I would like to know
> that now before I look any further into this project.

> Does anyone have a reasonable idea about whether CouchDB will be
> capable of such massive scalability or how many machines it would
> take to scale that large?

This sounds like a scenario that CouchDB will ultimately be able to
handle nicely. I don't think we can give out any guarantees about when
an how this will be the case. Maintaining a 200+GB data set would
require
quite some hand-wiring at the moment.

> I would appreciate any feedback that anyone might have on this.

I think Damien can chime in here :) Damien?

Cheers
Jan