couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 01:02:22 GMT

On Nov 13, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Antony Blakey wrote:

> You could use the view mechanism, and attach a "language" attribute,
> and have this be a general transformation interface, which would
> indeed be very nice. For efficiency you would want to apply this
> over sets of documents, and probably in a transactional context like
> bulk update does now.
>
> However... Damien wants something to use in replication, which would
> mean that javascript would then become a required, rather than an
> optional part of Couch, because replication would require it (unless
> you made the replication diff generator pluggable ... but why go
> there?). The benefit of the declarative diff format is that applying
> a diff can be done within Couch.

couldn't these queries run in the view server?  in fact any mechanism
which would allow the view server could accomplish this with a
protocol between it and the db server.  basically it's an addition to
the map/reduce functionality which would alter documents on the fly.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama