couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: partial/diff updates?
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 02:00:09 GMT
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 05:34:14PM -0800, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> This keeps coming up. I am seeing the words "seems", "would", "some", "guess",
> "scenario", "brokeback mountain". I rather see numbers supporting the
> cause. So far, other things prove to be a bottleneck. I'd like to see a real
> app that would benefit from this. I'm not saying there is none, I'd just like
> to see it :)

Brokeback mountain? What the... I think you've spent too long in the USA, you
must be getting travel sick. Come back to Europe as quick as you can!

My opinion is that if the community (CouchDB or JSON) can propose a workable
JSON diff format with interoperable client implementations this would be a huge
win for CouchDB, I wouldn't even need a specific use case to convince me.

Damien points out that oftentimes large documents can be broken down into
smaller documents, and you, quite rightly, ask for specific use cases. My view
is that if the community can standardise this outside of CouchDB it's a win/win
situation for everyone if we implement it.