couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Associating users and comments
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 20:04:43 GMT
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Alan Bell
<alan.bell@theopenlearningcentre.com> wrote:
> Jeremy Wall wrote:
>> Or you can create a last 5 posts for users view. There is nothing wrong with
>> that.
> But you can't can you? You could create a view of posts for a user and
> retrieve the top 5 rows, but you can't control a documents presence in
> the view based on the number of other documents that may or may not be
> in the view already I think. Maybe I am being overly pedantic here!

to requote myself:

> Alternatively, how would I have it return only 5 Paste's max for each user?

can't really do that in one request... a request to the map per human
with startkey=["097337c75773737022bb4e8cd3a92140"]&endkey=["097337c75773737022bb4e8cd3a92140",{}]&count=6
would do it.

and to follow up, I agree with Jeremy when he says:

> Alternatively, you can do the 20 roundabouts but in parallel so the latency
> hit is only the longest roundtrip. CouchDB shouldn't have any problem with a
> lot of simultaneous reads at once.

CouchDB handle concurrency well, and shies away from query options
that would negatively impact it's ability to do so. That means cases
like this push more work to the client. Maybe the IPC overhead
outstrips the lower load on CouchDB's internals, maybe it doesn't... I
guess we'll learn as we go along.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com