couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchDB gave up building views
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:35:24 GMT
On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Yuuki Takano <ytakano@jaist.ac.jp> wrote:
> Thank you for your responses.
>
> I looked up views such as
> /_view/votes/votes?count=10&group=true
>
>> Yeah, that means your map function took too long to complete a map
>> operation. (5 seconds IIRC). If your map functions are taking that
>> long you should reexamine them. (That's per group of docs sent, not
>> the entire operation mind you)
>
> This means I have to look up "/_view/votes/votes?count=10&group=true"
> repeatedly until receiving valid responses.
> After repeating reasonable times, I can get responses I want.
> Is that right?

One, your HTTP request should block until the view returns. If the
HTTP request times out you can just try again, or notify your user, or
what ever is appropriate.

The first time you query the view, it will try start a process that
irregardless of subsequence requests, will build the entire view.

The error that you received about the timeout in couch means your map
functions have a bug that is preventing them from returning data to
couch. Aftering fixing that issue, things should work smoothly.

HTH,
Paul