couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: uuid, auto-increment, et al.
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 07:20:26 GMT

On Oct 19, 2008, at 11:58 PM, Antony Blakey wrote:

> Alternatively, you could use some form of distributed voting
> algorithm, but that's a lot more work and you have to be careful to
> get a correct implementation.
>
> Given the nature of CouchDB, and the fact that it already provides
> the interface to the data cloud, providing generic core services
> such as distributed voting with layered services such as global
> uniqueness indexes, would be a logical extension.

i have to agree with you there - it does seem like a huge barrier to
developing even the most trivial application and it'd be huge relief
to have this baked in.  that said it's a *hard* problem so perhaps
it's asking too much.  not sure about that...

in any case a web service really might make good sense.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama