couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: Getting only updates from a view
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 02:54:42 GMT
Wow. That's a wholelotta client apps. In this case yeah, there may not be a
great way to generalize the views since it sounds like you don't even
control them, but from the little I've been able to glean, you may want to
take some measures to sandbox this view creation somewhat. If all views go
into the same design document, one view's change results in all views being
rebuilt -- probably not what you want. So perhaps each client should get
their own design doc where they can create their views...

But I'd go a little further and suggest that if you have that many clients
who need ultimate control over views, perhaps you may want to rethink the
architecture. Letting clients design your views could get a little hairy --
one rogue view could take down your whole system. I don't know anything
about the data you're keeping, but perhaps you could expose it certain ways
useful to as many clients as possible, but punt on all that processing. Let
the clients deal with that -- and for those that really need their own
views, just replicate them an instance of the db and they can add all the
views they want.