couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: uuid, auto-increment, et al.
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:57:05 GMT

On 21/10/2008, at 7:59 AM, Nick Johnson wrote:

> 3b. Determine the shard to write to based on a hash of the key you're
> inserting (or part of it, if you want multiple-document transactions
> to work
> properly). Since every document has only a single authoritative write
> server, you can ensure uniqueness/atomicity without having the
> bottleneck or
> single point of failure of a single global master.

I like this idea, although if you want to do an atomic bulk update you
might have different key-specific write masters. This seems no
different than having specific uniqueness services that aren't
transactionally integrated, although having multiple write servers for
a single operation would be a consistency nightmare.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

He who would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy
from repression.
   -- Thomas Paine