couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: When to use CouchDB, when not to...
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:21:09 GMT

On Oct 13, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Ayende Rahien wrote:

> Trying to do dynamic entities in the DB tends to be a major PITA in
> any high
> perf scenario

correct - this is the advantage of using object graphs: you get it,
it's properties, and any other deeply nested data structures on one hit.

i'd contend, however that you'd really have to structure you app in a
very bad way to have any the db schema be of consequence.  there are
indexes and there is caching at many levels.  hitting the app and db
for ever request doesn't scale period.  in fact, rdbms don't scale
well anyhow - not if you count 'easily' in your criteria that is.
anyone who has every tried tried to setup high-availability db
backends knows this.  again though, this is a point where couchdb
could really shine - they look to have addressed this from the get go.

time will tell i suppose.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.