couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Will Schenk <wsch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3 Newbie questions
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:54:55 GMT
On 2008-09-25 10:21:05 -0400, Jan Lehnardt
<jan@apache.org> said:

> a) "The value returned from a reduce should grow at a rate no bigger
> than log(N) of values processed". This is why you see your view being
> slow.

Where is this quote front?

> b) the back-and forth of data between CouchDB and Spidermonkey
> certainly takes some time, but it is not the limiting factor here. A
> document is indexed only once. Results are cached. Your first query
> will go through all your data, all subsequent queries will be lighting
> fast.

If this is the case, then I'm certainly doing it wrong.  Not really
sure how do cache these views with relaxdb, but I'll figure out
something.

> See above, wrong conclusion. Treating databases as tables is a
> terrible idea. Sorry RelaxDB folks. See
> http://upstream-berlin.com/2008/09/25/a-couchdb-primer-for-an-activerecord-mindset/
>   for a discussion on different Ruby libs.

I'm not sure that RelaxDB does this exactly, but... why is it a bad
idea?  In my case, I suspect that moving "blobs" to the attachments
will basically solve my problem, but it seems like you could use
different databases in the same way that you'd shard tables in a more
traditional setting.

What is the normal way of keeping the views in the database in sync
with the code?  Is there some sort of "migration" concept that loads
the new views in, or is it more of a manual procesS?

> Again, no big data-roundtrip problems. See above. With views, you
> could do each dimension in a separate query and then intersect the two
> results in your application. Or employ a GIS indexer / searcher over
> the external indexing interface.

But that's not where I want to put my datafiltering logic!  And in this
case, you'd get a lot of extranious crap -- I don't need to get points
of interest from rome if I'm looking for stuff in nyc (same latitude,
different world).

Where would I find information about the external indexing stuff?

> Cheers
> Jan

Thanks,
-w