couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Roberto R" <roberto.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Debugging
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:22:47 GMT
Hi all,

I'm new to CouchDB, so this might be something that was already asked.  I
did search the mail archives though.  Anyway, here's a bunch of questions:

What is the best way to run CouchDB for debugging?
I've gone through the "Contributing" page on the wiki to build (but not
install) from svn and put together a development config file, but for some
reason, I'm getting a crash on startup.  The 0.8.1 release is installed just
fine, and I made sure it's not running.

Apart from getting the latest code running, what is the recommended way to
debug an error?
Do you use the couchdb Erlang interactive shell?
Is there an easy way to kick-off the Erlang debugger with CouchDB?
Do you create your own HTTP requests in the shell or just use the JavaScript
tests?  What if you want to see intermediate values?

I'm basically trying to figure out why a simple startkey request is causing
an error --
http://localhost:5984/mytestdb/_all_docs?startkey=61268dcc7808ca35fb3fb2b103db4abc

The returned JSON error message shows that it's occuring in cjson tokenize,
which makes me want to figure out what is happening at that point in the
code.

Thanks!

Roberto