couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Brad King" <>
Subject Inventory on CouchDB
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 02:39:08 GMT
This is more of a business related post than technical, so bear with
me. I love how couchdb works: its elegant, it works how I think, it
can accept any reasonably structured data. My decision to make is
whether or not to take our company onto this new ground for a mission
critical system: customer product data. Technically we call it
"inventory" but I plan to keep all of the quantity control in
Postgres, so its really just product data. We have some really big
customers, with hundreds of thousands of products. It has to work, it
can't fail. This data feeds everything else in our system.

I have a vision for this great marriage of Postgres for inventory
quantity managment and CouchDB for customer specific product data
catalogs, but I'm struggling with what I think our Operations team can
realistically manage for keeping these CouchDB systems up, running ,
backed up, and easily deploying new servers for new customers.

Is anyone else in the SaaS business taking the plunge here with
CouchDB. Am I insane for even considering it? I'm just tired of
writing self joins against unindexed fields in sql to handle
variations in product schema per customer, it just doesn't make sense.

View raw message