couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: view index build time
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:48:51 GMT
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Brad King <brking@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I talk about CouchDB to other developers here, the first question
> I get is if the data can be distributed across multiple nodes or not
> (this is usually after the shock of how cool couchdb is wears off a
> little). Without this we have many of the same constraints we have
> today with relational databases. Yeah JSon storage is super cool, but
> in the end capacity and performance will win over ease of use. This
> where we see couchdb becoming something serious to consider for
> enterprise computing. We just have to be able to drop 3 or 4 million
> documents into this thing and not worry at all about index time,
> reliability, etc.

Just this morning I dropped just a smidgen of couch's coolness on my "cloud
computing" professor and he was definitely impressed, but of course this is
the first thing he came back to me with. Damn...

> I'm sure we'd even pay for commercial licensing if
> that were available. Faster Damien! :-)

Thank goodness for Apache. I'm pretty confident this isn't in couch's
future, but even still, why go down that route? As an open source project, a
concrete bounty would likely be a much faster way to spur a feature you're
willing to pay for.