couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Ayende Rahien" <aye...@ayende.com>
Subject Newbie questions
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:15:42 GMT
First, I must admit that I am a complete newbie with Erlang.
Nevertheless, I tried to read couch db source in order to see if I can
actually understand what is going on.
You can see the results here:
http://ayende.com/Blog/archive/2008/09/24/reading-erlang-inspecting-couchdb.aspx

I would be happy if someone could point out all the gross inaccuracies that
are undoubtedly there.

Anyway, I had a few questions that I hope I'll be able to get some answers
for.
merge conflicts - how does couch db decides on "best" revision?

does couchdb store all documents on all servers? implements sharding?
from browsing the code, it seems like all documents exists on all servers,
and it is up to the servers management to decide how to replicate between
them. Something like master / 2 slaves between each three nodes should do
quite well, I imagine.

Two questions that are of particular interest to me, and I haven't been able
to get from the code so far are:
- How is the data stored? I think that it is a binary tree on disk, but I am
not following how updates to that can be safe to do so with ACID guarantees.

- How are views stored?

Thanks,
 ~ayende