couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multiple filters on a large data set
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:31:50 GMT
Hello Jaap,

On Sep 25, 2008, at 20:25 , Jaap van der Plas wrote:

> We like to build a database with approx. 50.000 documents. Every
> document has at least about 10 fields. We think CouchDB would be nice
> solution because there's a big variety of documents (like different
> fields).

I'd agree on the assessment that CouchDB is a good fit here.

> We intend to use this for an online catelog. We like end users to be
> able to search with multiple fields (like filters). Any combination of
> fields should be possible.
>
> 1. Is this possible to do this without creating temp_views for every
> query?

If you want to do fulltext search, I'd second Ayende's suggestion of
using the external search API to let Lucene do this kind of indexing and
searching.

Views can get you there if you create a comprehensive index of all
fields
and all their combinations (possible, probably not nice) and allow for
a keyword search. You could even split up your filter words and put
single
chars, tuples and so on into the index to fake fulltext search. This
is possible
but probably not the most elegant solution.

> 2. If not, is using temp_views viable performance wise on this sort of
> dataset.

Using temp views is not wise unless you want to test view function
definitions
on rather little data. A production system should not rely on them.
(This is
again, a rule of thumb, but with a pretty big thumb!)

Cheers
Jan