couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: extra information in design documents
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:24:48 GMT
Indeed, a single design document is meant to be able to hold
everything necessary for a application. That way the application
design replicates around as single unit, and you can have multiple
application designs for the same database (maybe for different
clients, web vs mobile vs desktop).

The only thing to worry about is collisions with your custom fields
and CouchDB reserved fields. As new design fields are added in later
versions of CouchDB, they might take the name of some custom field
already used by your application, which can cause problems. This is
the reserved keyword problem you see over and over again in languages
and tools. There really isn't much you can do as the user except name
your symbols something unlikely to be later reserved.

-Damien