couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sho Fukamachi <sho.fukama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: windows build?
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:46:56 GMT

On 15/08/2008, at 4:53 AM, Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen wrote:

> You have a point there. For the try-before-you-buy crowd, a windows
> build would be very usefull.

How large is the crowd of people who are technically skilled/curious
enough to be wanting to try out advanced pre-release distributed REST-
based database servers written in erlang with their cutting edge web
applications that they are writing because they are programmers but at
the same time can't manage to gain any access at all to a UNIX-like
system? I would have thought it was zero ...

Anyway, I would have thought the #1 reason for getting a windows build
up and running is to fulfil the (currently somewhat distant) promise
of being able to deliver Couch locally as an online/offline syncing
file store or something, but that's all off in the future and not an
urgent priority.

> I was more referring to the next phase, when somebody would actually
> decide to use CouchDB.
> In that case i would try to rely on software stacks in their 'native'
> habitat. But that's just my preference.

Geeze, I can *kind of* understand someone wanting to use Windows for
development if they absolutely have to have DreamWeaver or something,
but on a server?! Of course you are right that people should run
server software, on servers, in their "native" environment. One
doesn't use WINE to run IIS on Linux, one should not use cygwin or
whatever to run Erlang/CouchDB on Windows.

If you couldn't escape Windows on the server for some unbelievably
good reason (like the aliens are threatening to blow up the world if
you don't), then it would probably be easier/preferable to run it in
Linux under VMWare anyway.

In my humble opinion, of course!

Sho