couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: windows build?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:41:06 GMT

On Aug 13, 2008, at 11:53, Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen wrote:

> 2008/8/2 Brad King <brking@gmail.com>:
>> Great idea for prototyping. Just keep in mind performance suffers
>> quite a bit for view index time on VM vs. real. Not sure if you were
>> planning on running in production that way, but wouldn't recommend
>> it.
>
> OTOH using Windows in production for a server isn't the easiest,
> cheapest nor safest thing to do anyway.
> So developping on a VMWare image, (perhaps it's even wiser to go with
> a server, console-only version).

The idea here is not to provide something for a production system.
There are folks who are on Windows and actually do like it or can't
switch for whatever reason and a native build would be the least
possible hassle for these to try out CouchDB.

Frankly, if somebody would come and say "Install Windows[1] in
VMware and then try our awesome project", I would pass.

In my opinion, a native Windows build has its value and it would
be nice if somebody could pull it together.

Cheers
Jan
--
[1] Or any other system that is complete alien to me