couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Appending "\n" and pretty printing output from the command line using curl (with a smidge of python)
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:36:08 GMT
Hi, thanks for the research.
On Aug 22, 2008, at 13:42, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 12:24:53AM -0500, Jason Huggins wrote:
>
> Many applications choke when processing text files if last line is
> not properly
> terminated, as your experience with the shell demonstrates.

Thing is that CouchDB is talking HTTP to curl (or any other HTTP client)
and not through POSIX interfaces with the OS and other programs. Curl
(or you favourite HTTP client) is doing that. So maybe curl should add a
newline there to be POSIX compliant. But I can see curl saying "I don't
touch the payload" for a good reason, too.

I don't really know what's practical now, but I don't think your
argumentation
is tight. Maybe we can bring that before the resident ASF HTTP experts?

Cheers
Jan