couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Bradford Winfrey <bradswinf...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Any benefit in the pipe from TraceMonkey?
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 03:57:07 GMT
Yea, I figured it wouldn't make an enormous difference since the vast majority of "power" is
left to Erl.  Interesting still!  Thanks Chris

----- Original Message ----
From: Chris Anderson <jchris@grabb.it>
To: couchdb-user@incubator.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:40:51 PM
Subject: Re: Any benefit in the pipe from TraceMonkey?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Bradford Winfrey
<bradswinfrey@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was just curious about CouchDB's performance (not that I have any problem with it at
the moment). As the buzz surrounding FireFox's javascript support amplifies with each day
they get closer to the 3.0.1 release, does this mean that there will be some way to slip TraceMonkey
into the mix and reap any benefits?  Just curious - as I will have a success story to share
with the masses using CouchDB as a backend very, very soon.

In my experience, Javascript view evaluation is not a large part of
the time spent in view generation. Of course a faster Javascript
engine will speed things up, but the work that is currently being done
to make CouchDB take advantage of more cores may have a greater
effect.

That said, I'm not sure what roadblocks (if any) there are to using TraceMonkey.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com