couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Jason Huggins" <ja...@jrandolph.com>
Subject Re: Backup of couchdb
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 05:39:54 GMT
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@grabb.it> wrote:
> On the flip-side, if you are restoring from backup, or otherwise want
> to clone an entire couchdb database, the fastest method is through
> duplicating the my-database.couch file.

Just to be clear... is it okay to make a "hot backup" of that file
while the server is still running? (I would think so, give it's
append-only storage design.)

Other databases (Oracle, Postgres) make a big distinction between hot
backup (while the server is running) and cold backups (when it's not).
Usually, the safest backup method with them is a cold backup -- but is
impractical, given the downtime. So, usually, those other dbs ship
tools to "dump" the database to another file as their hot backup
solution. If "hot" copying of couchdb db files is safe and a "for
free" feature of the design... that's really, really cool. :-)

- Jason