couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen" <ralf.nieuwenhuij...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: windows build?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:53:26 GMT
2008/8/14 Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>:

> On Aug 13, 2008, at 11:53, Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen wrote:
>
>> 2008/8/2 Brad King <brking@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Great idea for prototyping. Just keep in mind performance suffers
>>> quite a bit for view index time on VM vs. real. Not sure if you were
>>> planning on running in production that way, but wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>> OTOH using Windows in production for a server isn't the easiest,
>> cheapest nor safest thing to do anyway.
>> So developping on a VMWare image, (perhaps it's even wiser to go with
>> a server, console-only version).
>
> The idea here is not to provide something for a production system.
> There are folks who are on Windows and actually do like it or can't
> switch for whatever reason and a native build would be the least
> possible hassle for these to try out CouchDB.
>
> Frankly, if somebody would come and say "Install Windows[1] in
> VMware and then try our awesome project", I would pass.
>
> In my opinion, a native Windows build has its value and it would
> be nice if somebody could pull it together.

You have a point there. For the try-before-you-buy crowd, a windows
build would be very usefull.

I was more referring to the next phase, when somebody would actually
decide to use CouchDB.
In that case i would try to rely on software stacks in their 'native'
habitat. But that's just my preference.

Greetings,
Ralf N.

> Cheers
> Jan
> --
> [1] Or any other system that is complete alien to me
>

>> Adding bonus-effects: you can throw the whole server configuration in
>> source-control ;-)
>> When releasing producting ready version you just release the whole
>> server image ready to deploy.
>>
>> I use linux as a desktop, but i too am using virtualized images, that
>> I deploy when ready.
>> It depends on the sort of project, but if you need to things like
>> automatically convert certain uploaded file-types, etc. having the
>> whole server and installed programs under source-control really is the
>> way to go.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen

 On the