couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen" <ralf.nieuwenhuij...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: windows build?
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:53:53 GMT
2008/8/2 Brad King <brking@gmail.com>:
> Great idea for prototyping. Just keep in mind performance suffers
> quite a bit for view index time on VM vs. real. Not sure if you were
> planning on running in production that way, but wouldn't recommend it.

OTOH using Windows in production for a server isn't the easiest,
cheapest nor safest thing to do anyway.
So developping on a VMWare image, (perhaps it's even wiser to go with
a server, console-only version).

Adding bonus-effects: you can throw the whole server configuration in
source-control ;-)
When releasing producting ready version you just release the whole
server image ready to deploy.

I use linux as a desktop, but i too am using virtualized images, that
I deploy when ready.
It depends on the sort of project, but if you need to things like
automatically convert certain uploaded file-types, etc. having the
whole server and installed programs under source-control really is the
way to go.

Greetings,
Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen