couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Appending "\n" and pretty printing output from the command line using curl (with a smidge of python)
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:02:39 GMT
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:34:19AM -0400, Damien Katz wrote:
> I'm leery about having the server emit newlines, when payloads are signed
> little things like that can cause headaches.

What do you mean by "signed" in this context?

This proposal could go two ways:

 * CouchDB consistently omits the trailing newline from text files
 * CouchDB consistently adds the trailing newline to text files

Where "file" is a reference to the HTTP response entity-body with a media type
of application/json, which is in turn a text based format.

Assuming you're talking about cryptographic signing, neither of these scenarios
affect that because the output format will be entirely consistent.

As I mentioned in my last email, I have outlined some concrete upsides of the
trailing newline but no one has come forward with a concrete downside.

Best,

--
Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/