couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Carey" <paul.p.ca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: when to use another document and when not to?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:47:15 GMT
> So for these reasons I think that just storing the array on both sides is a
> bad idea.

+1 for all the reasons you list, except perhaps the fourth, for which
I think I'm on the fence.

Storing the relationships on both sides would indeed be feasible only
in a heavily constrained environment - limited contention and perhaps
bounded document size. A quick look at Flickr shows 4,249,311 photos
tagged with 'london' with a net change of a +/- 2 every second or so.
At four bytes per tag id, good luck writing that much data that
frequently.

> The approach I have settled on (for now) is that you do create the
> Membership document, and then you and cache all the information you need in it

> - you can then grab all the tag names for a specific Photo ID, or all the
> photo names for a specific Tag ID, in a single view

It looks like multi key GETs / bulk_load (I got horribly confused
following yesterday's IRC discussion) is on the horizon which will
presumably make one of the original suggestions in this thread - a
simple join document - feasible.

Paul