couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Backup of couchdb
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:47:19 GMT

On Aug 22, 2008, at 08:12, Niket Patel wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Jason Huggins wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear... is it okay to make a "hot backup" of that file
>> while the server is still running? (I would think so, give it's
>> append-only storage design.)
>
> More information on this will be helpful from couchdb developer.
> If backup doesn't have some recently added records between backup
> start and finish..
> thats fine
>
> But if this can corrupt db file, we have to think other backup options
> replication should not considered as backup.

After each write, a database file is guaranteed to be consistent on
disk (unless you are on an OS that doesn't handle fsync() properly).

If you disable writes to a database during the time of a backup, you
can make a "hot" copy. You might not consider that "hot" anymore
though. Reads can still go to the file.

Or have two nodes, one of which is your live-node and the other one
is your backup-node. Have the backup-node replicate from the live
node up to a certain point. Then shut it down (or leave it idle) and
make a filesystem copy of the replicated database.

Use filesystem snapshots. In theory you should be able to grab
a complete and live snapshot from under CouchDB's feet, I have
never done this though and you should verify that it works :)

Cheers
Jan