couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:14:36 GMT
Noah,

See, that's the kicker. I don't by any means want to distribute the
bindings. But by virtue of the GPL, if you're code uses, say for
instance, the Xapian bindings you're code must be released under the
GPL. Ie, by mere virtue of having "import xapian" in your python
script it would have to be released under the GPL.

It wasn't until I put that one together that I realized how much I
dislike the GPL.

As to the erlang FTI idea, I'd be all for this too. Keeping as much in
erlang as possible seems like a good idea to me. It just so happens
that one of the short examples in Programming Erlang is about creating
such a beast. Granted its small and trivial, but its a place to start
from. Now, if anyone wants to go and implement a decent stemmer and
all the other whizbang features that people expect from a FTI, I'd
probably jump on board with that.

Paul