couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:36:14 GMT
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 05:36:05PM -0400, Dean Landolt wrote:
>> Or CLucene (for those of us with a violent distaste for all things Java). I
>> just learned about a new FTI option: Hyper Estraier -- also GPL, sadly, but
>> according to some benchmarks I stumbled across a good bit faster than both
>> Xapian and Lucene. And the GPL issue shouldn't be an issue if we're not
>> distributing the bindings (hyperestraier has pure-python bindings in PyPI
>> (that pyndexter already uses)).
>
> Does this not apply to Xapian too?
>
> What is the problem with the GPL as long as we don't distribute the bindings?

It depends on what license the bindings are released under. Assuming
they're GPL'd like Xapian's then the answer is that we distribute
separately. To me that's a slight annoyance. Pyndexter appears to be
under a BSDish license judging from the COPYING file. Not that I read
it, but it looks like the same format and length.