couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: replication usage? creating dupes?
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:44:08 GMT

On Jul 15, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Sho Fukamachi wrote:

> O Wise ones,
>
> While attempting to use Futon's built-in replicator function to sync
> a local DB with a (brand new) remote one, the replication kept
> timing out. I restarted it several times, and after it finally
> completed I was delighted to find it actually had created more
> records on the remote than exist locally. Hooray, free records!

Replication causing duplicate records? We've never seen that, and it
shouldn't be possible. Maybe you replicated to 2 different source
databases to the same target?

> Unfortunately they seem to be dupes. It was only about 3000 records,
> 1000 or so records are dupes. This leaves me with a couple of
> questions:
>
> - is there a "safe" way to do replication that doesn't create dupes?

Using the HTTP replicator is the correct way, you issue a HTTP
replication request and it performs the replication. Futon uses that.

> - is Couch really sensitive to network fluctuations? I admit, I'm on
> the other side of the planet as the test server, but no packet loss
> or anything I can detect

No, replication can fail at any point in the process and it will
recover without problem at the next replication.

> - what is the current best practise to keep two databases in sync?
> Ie, 2-way (multi master) replication. No dupes. Assume imperfect
> network (ie, over public internet). This is kind of one of the
> reasons I am using Couch for this project so .. I would like to do
> it right!

Replicate the databases on a schedule. CouchDB will figure out what
has changed incrementally.

> I also wonder if anyone has started work on a 3rd party
> synchronisation tool yet? I'm thinking something that just
> periodically queries both DBs, makes a list of unsynced _ids and/or
> _revs and then PUTS one to the other as necessary. Maybe something
> nice in Ruby? Not that I'm knocking Futon of course, it's just that
> in-browser JS seems a little .. fragile, especially after today's
> experience.

The replicator is actually written in Erlang. There is currently an
issue with http-timeouts during long replicatons, and we need to do
the replication async with the browser request to fix it. However
there should never be new records (with new IDs) created during
replication, it doesn't work that way.

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions/wisdom.
>
> Sho

If you can zip up the two databases and mail them to me, or post them
some where publicly accessible, I can take a look and see if I can
figure out what happened.