couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Troy Kruthoff <tkruth...@blit.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB/Memcached
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:36:14 GMT
Bradford,

We are still hacking through this, but I plan to post our code either
on a blog or the couchdb wiki once we get it smoothed out a little.
What we have done is abstracted the REST API in our application via an
object we call "database".  So in our code (we use Ruby) we use:

database.get('id') or database.get(['id1','id2','id3',...])

where database.get:

1) looks up each id in an in-memory hash table
2) queries memcache for all id's not found in hash (memcache can use
multi-get here) (adds results to hash)
3) queries couch for all id's not found in memcache (adds results to
memcache and hash)

and of course put,post and delete are abstracted as well to update/
delete the hash and memcached.

We also use a memory session concept for all updates/writes.  So when
we create or edit a document and save it, we store the document in the
hash (generating the doc.id in the application for new docs) and mark
it as dirty.  Then the app calls database.commit which uses the couch
bulk_docs api to commit the changes to couch.

We have discussed internally, implementing the above in C as an open
source "couch driver" with Ruby, Python and PHP language bindings.

-- troy