couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:01:13 GMT
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Dean Landolt <dean@deanlandolt.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 1:08 AM, Dan Reverri <reverri@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it worthwhile to implement a full text indexer on top of couchdbs
>> map/reduce functionality?
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/FullTextIndexWithView
>>

> Interesting idea. There's definitely more to FTI than tokenization alone,
> but then again there's an awful lot of power in m/r and javascript -- it
> didn't take me a second to find a porter stemming algorithm in js:
> http://tartarus.org/~martin/PorterStemmer/js.txt<http://tartarus.org/%7Emartin/PorterStemmer/js.txt>
>
> I bet variable weighting would be pretty close to impossible in the m/r
> paradigm though, and probably some other features (of course, I could be
> wrong, and when it comes to couchdb, thus far I usually am). For a strait-up
> word search, this is servicible as is. I'm going to see if I can't figure
> out how to shoehorn in some boolean features.

I gave this approach another look and I was able to get a view together that
did a little more (stemming, optional case-insensitivity, min length for
tokens, better whitespace handling). I'm working on an ngram view too and so
far it's promising. But there's still one huge problem -- for the life of me
I can't figure out a workable strategy for boolean operations that doesn't
involve fully loading each piece of the query. Am I missing something? Is
something like this even possible? I know there's no way to load a piece of
a view from another view -- but I just can't help but really wish there
were.