couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:45:56 GMT
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 1:08 AM, Dan Reverri <reverri@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it worthwhile to implement a full text indexer on top of couchdbs
> map/reduce functionality?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/FullTextIndexWithView

Interesting idea. There's definitely more to FTI than tokenization alone,
but then again there's an awful lot of power in m/r and javascript -- it
didn't take me a second to find a porter stemming algorithm in js:
http://tartarus.org/~martin/PorterStemmer/js.txt

I bet variable weighting would be pretty close to impossible in the m/r
paradigm though, and probably some other features (of course, I could be
wrong, and when it comes to couchdb, thus far I usually am). For a strait-up
word search, this is servicible as is. I'm going to see if I can't figure
out how to shoehorn in some boolean features.