couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Avi Flax" <a...@arc90.com>
Subject Re: Newbie: How to create a View
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:27:01 GMT
On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Sho Fukamachi <sho.fukamachi@gmail.com> wrote:

> as a fellow newbie embarked on a CouchDB crash course I hope I can help.

Sho, thanks so much! This is perfect, exactly what I needed. It's a
bit exasperating that this sort of simple how-to info isn't to be
found on the website.

> Can you access Futon, the couchdb web interface?

Yup, I'm using CouchDBX (*very* useful btw).

> Let me know how you go. I agree the docs could be a little easier to understand, maybe
I will try to write up something "from zero"...

That would be really, really helpful.

While I can now create and "call" a view, I'm still a little confused
as to the terminology involved and the intended usage patterns.

For instance, you used the term "namespace". What might a namespace
be? Also, the design document includes the key "views" - are there
other keys supported? Or is that TBD? Also, apparently I can define
multiple view functions in the "view" key - that's cool, but I don't
quite understand the intended usage pattern.

For example, how should I name my namespaces and my views?

Perhaps like this?

http://localhost:5984/vehicles/_view/cars/get_all_cars
http://localhost:5984/vehicles/_view/cars/get_car

http://localhost:5984/vehicles/_view/trucks/get_all_trucks
http://localhost:5984/vehicles/_view/trucks/get_truck

...or...

http://localhost:5984/vehicles/_view/data/this
http://localhost:5984/vehicles/_view/data/that

http://localhost:5984/vehicles/_view/reporting/this
http://localhost:5984/vehicles/_view/reporting/that

...? Or maybe I'm missing the point, perhaps it's intended to be as
open-ended as it is, so we can make up our own usage patterns.

Thanks!!!
Avi