couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Demetrius Nunes" <demetriusnu...@gmail.com>
Subject Is it possible to evaluate a view on a 20.000 documents database?
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:10:59 GMT
Hi there,

I was having a great time playing aroung with CouchDB. It seems like a
perfect fit for a future system that we'll be building fairly soon.

But then, I've just created a CouchDB database, importing 20.000 records
from an old relational database into it.

When I go into Futon, I can see the database is there, with 20.899 documents
and 125.2 MB in size.

Clicking on it, I can navigate thru the "All Documents" pretty quickly (10
documents per page).

The problem is when I try to create a custom view. Just as I enter the
custom view page in Futon, the server hangs and locks up my CPU at 90%
usage. I waited several minutes for it to cool off but the process was still
there and I had no response at all.

I then tried to create a view programatically, using REST/JSON and I get the
same result.

I am running CouchDB 0.8.0 on Ubuntu 8.0.4.

Is CouchDB not ready for a dataset of this size yet?

Thanks and best regards,
Dema

--
http://www.demetriusnunes.com