couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject [pombredanne@gmail.com: RE: Using a GPL library with Apache CouchDB]
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:31:46 GMT
See below.

----- Forwarded message from Philippe Ombredanne <pombredanne@gmail.com> -----

Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:57:56 -0800
From: Philippe Ombredanne <pombredanne@gmail.com>
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: RE: Using a GPL library with Apache CouchDB

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:00:45AM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> After reading your post Sam, it seems clear that we can't use
> Xapian even if it was allowed by the GPL because this would go against the

> principal of not requiring any GPL code dependencies. What a shame.

My 2 cents:
a possible approach would be to expose some kind of interface /plugin (that
has no knowledge of Xapian) such that
- various index engines can be plugged in.
- there is a reference implementation available for some index technology
provided under ASL
- other projects outside of the ASF can implement and provide a CouchDB
index plugin for Xapian if they feel like it, under whatever license they
feel they can or shall use.

So I can see potentially a path to using Xapian with CouchDB, but it would
involve:
- technology neutrality of the interface
- some work done outside of the ASF

> I am still curious to know if the "linking" aspect applies to "import
xapian".
IMHO the linking aspect applies to "import xapian" and in general to any
kind of approach where the Xapian interfaces would have to be known from
CouchDb ASF provided code for an integration to work.
I would see establishing some kind of hard linkage and dependency between
the two technologies as "linking".
But I tend to consider linking in a technology neutral way, beyond the
interpretation of what linking means for the FSF or what it means a specific
programming language, so take my words lightly.

Does this make sense ?

--
Cheers
Philippe