couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:32:19 GMT
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:14:36AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> See, that's the kicker. I don't by any means want to distribute the
> bindings. But by virtue of the GPL, if you're code uses, say for
> instance, the Xapian bindings you're code must be released under the
> GPL. Ie, by mere virtue of having "import xapian" in your python
> script it would have to be released under the GPL.

I think we can use and distribute Xapian and it's bindings with CouchDB.

I've been chatting with the Xapian developers and here's what came up.

15:26 < richardb> Xapian's source files all say:
15:26 < richardb> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
15:26 < richardb>  * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
15:26 < richardb>  * published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of
the
15:26 < richardb>  * License, or (at your option) any later version.

15:27 < richardb> So, you can use it under version 3 if you want - we'll be
                  continuing to distribute it under v2 or later for the forseable future.

Digging a little further:

 The Free Software Foundation considers the Apache License, Version 2.0 to be a
 free software license, compatible with version 3 of the GPL.

  - http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

 Apache License, Version 2.0

    This is a free software license, compatible with version 3 of the
    GPL. Please note that this license is not compatible with GPL version 2,
    because it has some requirements that are not in the older
    version. These include certain patent termination and indemnification
    provisions.

 - http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#GPL
 - http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/#SoftwareLicenses

So the upshot of this seems to be that we can use Xapian, "link" to it and even
bundle the source code if we wished.

--
Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/