couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@grabb.it>
Subject Re: General-understanding questions about views
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2008 03:48:08 GMT
On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 8:35 PM, David King <dking@ketralnis.com> wrote:

> How would that total be updated if something were deleted or updated? Does
> the sum() function have to be evaluated over doc.Amount of *every* doc on
> every update?

I don't grok the internals well enough to say exactly why, but I do
know that one of the main features of CouchDB is the fact that only
the changed documents (and a minimum of aggregation "re-reductions")
need to be recomputed when an already mapped doc is updated or
deleted.

Also, be aware that the views aren't computed on update, but rather on
the next query after an update. If you have thousands of inserts,
updates, or deletions between view queries, the next query can take
some time to return.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson