couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brian Whitman <brian.whit...@variogr.am>
Subject Re: Bad write performance
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:57:44 GMT

On Jun 17, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Brad Schick wrote:

> I am seeing very poor write performance running CouchDB on Ubuntu
> Linux
> 8.04. I built CouchDB from source about a week ago, and I am using the
> Python wrapper to access it all on localhost.
>
> I am trying to add over 90,000 documents (each is about 400 bytes) and
> finding that I can only add about 16 documents per second. And while
> this is happening, my CPU is about 75% idle.

Are you using the update method in python (which uses _bulk_docs) ?
You need the svn version of the python wrapper for it.

On a slow machine (dual proc 1.8 GHz) using the python wrapper I added
100K docs 10K at a time, each with a random string, uuid, float and
int in 180 seconds (roughly 550 documents/second.) One CPU was pegged
at 100% with beam.smp during the update and the python client did not
even rate on top during the update (it was just waiting for a response.)

I couldn't increase my chunk size much past 10K -- couch would return
a (very long) error if I tried 5 20K chunks for example.