couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brad Schick <schi...@gmail.com>
Subject Modifying fields
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:27:39 GMT
I've just started evaluating CouchDB and so far I'm very impressed. I've
been comparing it to Amazon's SimpleDB in particular, and couchdb looks
like a great alternative.

One thing that I haven't found in the couchdb API that surprises me,
however, it a way to directly add or modify individual fields within a
document. For example, how would I efficiently update just one field in
a few thousand large-ish documents?

Looking at the current API, it seems like I would have retrieve each
document in its entirety, update that one field, then write back the
entire document. I see there is a way to bulk write many documents at
once, but that's only a small improvement. Have I missed something? If
not, is this ability planned for the future?

My first thought was that this could be implemented this with
server-side script functions related to views and/or with HTTP methods
on field URIs.

Thanks,
-Brad