couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache CouchDB needs write permission on the log directory: /
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:28:10 GMT
On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:42:32PM +0100, Mark James Adams wrote:
> It appears that Couch thinks that the log directory is in /.

When you installed CouchDB again into /tmp as a test was the configuration file
still set to use "/" as the log directory. Two tests on Ubuntu and OS X show
that the log directory setting is set correctly by the installation.

> that the couch.ini file has a LogFile option, which was '/couch.log'.
> I've set it to 'LogFile=/opt/local/var/log/couchdb/couch.log', but I'm
> still getting the same error.

How are you starting CouchDB?

If you are starting CouchDB by hand using the `couchdb` command then you need to
make sure that your user has write permission on the
`/opt/local/var/log/couchdb` directory as well as all the files and directories
contained within that.

If you are starting CouchDB using the `PREFIX/etc/init.d/couchdb start` command
you need to check your `PREFIX/etc/default/couchdb` file to see what user the
init.d script is running CouchDB as. Once you have checked this you need to make
sure that the log directory and it's contents are writable by this user.

Let me know if you're still having problems.

Thanks,

--
Noah Slater - The Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>