couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen" <ralf.nieuwenhuij...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB qooxdoo contribution is now available
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 19:45:00 GMT
2008/5/29 Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org>:
> Please note that my replies are being bounced from the non-couchdb list.
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 08:07:33PM +0200, Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen wrote:
>> > It's probably not relevant, but there is a Debian package available.
>>
>> But is that up to date with SVN? I'm trying to keep the
>> qooxdoo-contrib svn up to date with the couchdb-svn. At least until a
>> stable release.
>
> I try to keep it upto date, the trunk is only half-working.

Ah, i see you are the package maintainer!
So, the people running debian/unstable apt-get it.
For Ubuntu, you could just download the package itself from:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/couchdb

>> > Is this a local modification, the distribution init.d script should.
>>
>> Well, the README of CouchDB said that there were still distrobution
>> specific steps needed to make that happen, besides copying the script
>> to /etc/init.d  but perhaps I've misunderstood .. haven't tried it
>> yet.
>
> No, there are no additional steps. :)

Noted :-) I hadn't rebooted yet.

> If you are running a daemon, you should really have two things:
>
>  * a system startup script
>  * a system specific user to run the daemon, for security
>
> These two things I would consider baseline for running a daemon.

Which is exactly what they get it they follow those steps. I assume
the debian package also does it like this?

PS. Since you are a debian packager; perhaps you can look into a
qooxdoo package? Although itsn't very hard to fetch it from SVN and
just run make; it might make it somewhat easier for new users.
Esspecially if it drops default apache scripts in sites-available for
things like the api-browser, etc.

Greetings,
Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen