couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen" <ralf.nieuwenhuij...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: My CouchDB feature wish number 1: partial updating
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 13:45:18 GMT
2008/5/7 Guby <guby.mail@gmail.com>:

> > One step beyond, you could even say the document-map is a tree. Why
> > even speak of documents and databases?
> > Image access like this:
> >
> >  GET couchserver/mydatabase/mydocument/pizzas/eaten
> >
> > To just get part of the document, or to update part of the document.
> > Deleting all documents in the database:
> >
> >  PUT couchserver/mydatabase
> >
> >  {}
> >
>  That is a really cool idea, but then, how do you get views to work? What do
> you pass on to the views for indexing if you don't have a document entity?

Views could get an 'array' for each 'path' in the documents.
Something like

function(path, val)
{
  if( path[0] == 'pizzas' && path.length == 2)
  map( path[1], val );
}

Although there is not a flat collection of documents, but rather a
tree of data, that doesn't mean that tree-nodes have no identitty.
Since a map consists of keys van values. The path of keys is the
unique identifer for the associated data.

Greetings,
Ralf