couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <>
Subject Re: errors in tests
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 21:47:24 GMT
On 01.05.2008, at 23:32, Sho Fukamachi wrote:
> I followed the steps in the troubleshooting page you linked to. I've
> copied my entire step-by-step process below, exactly as I did it.
> Bear in mind though that js/spidermonkey is not included in that -
> the logs suggest the error is in couchjs, but could that be affected
> by a bad spidermonkey install?

Absolutely, but also by a bad Erlang install.

I've had a very similar problem with Erlang on Debian Etch on an AMD64
Linode. I was using the Erlang version available via apt-get, and
seeing problems like those you're seeing. I then tried to install
Erlang from source, only to see the configure script hang on a line
"checking floating point exceptions" (or similar). After some research
it turns out this was a compatibility problem with AMD64, but you
could disable HiPE to get around it. Which is what I did (./configure
--disable-hipe IIRC), and things worked.

(I've since got upgraded to a different Xen-based virtual machine
where the system Erlang works fine.)

One symptom of this is if couchjs works as expected when run manually
from the command-line, e.g.

   $ /usr/local/couchdb/bin/couchjs /usr/local/couchdb/share/couchdb/

(First line is the commandline invocation, second line is what you
type in when couchjs waits for input, and third line is the expected

If this works, then please have a closer look at rebuilding erlang
with HiPE disabled.

If it doesn't work, there's probably something wrong with your
spidermonkey installation.

Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at

View raw message