couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB qooxdoo contribution is now available
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 20:29:29 GMT
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 09:45:00PM +0200, Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen wrote:
> For Ubuntu, you could just download the package itself from:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/couchdb

Yup, Ubuntu should be pulling couchdb from Debian soon though.

> Which is exactly what they get it they follow those steps. I assume
> the debian package also does it like this?

Yes, in a manner of speaking.

The source to my package can be found here:

  https://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/erlang-pkg/couchdb/trunk/debian/

Specifically, the post installation script might be of interest to you:

  https://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/erlang-pkg/couchdb/trunk/debian/postinst

> PS. Since you are a debian packager; perhaps you can look into a
> qooxdoo package? Although itsn't very hard to fetch it from SVN and
> just run make; it might make it somewhat easier for new users.
> Esspecially if it drops default apache scripts in sites-available for
> things like the api-browser, etc.

I would be to install into / and not /usr/local but I guess that's a matter of
style between distro to distro. Also, my package does not provide Apache
integration so I couldn't comment on the that. I would provide a big fat notice
about the software being alpha, see the README.Debian file. Other than creating
the directories, user and setting permissions, there's not much else to do.

And yes, it might not be hard to check the source out from Subversion and do
this all your self, but providing packages is extremely useful. Thank you.

--
Noah Slater - The Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>