couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@mfdz.com>
Subject Re: Views
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:14:08 GMT
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Anthony Mills <amills1037@gascard.net> wrote:

>  If I use a different startkey, endkey or key, the key-value list is not
> rebuilt, it uses the keys from the first view.
>  Did I get it right?

You got it.

>  Sorry about being obtuse. I have a project that can have over 10 million
> documents and I need to understand how they can be indexed.

In my experience, the best way to get a feel for what you can do is by
playing around with data. I have a little Ruby script to batch data
over from Postgres so I can try view functions etc. -- It's more fun
if you work on a lot of data. A cool thing to remember is that you can
call the emit function more than once in a view, with different keys
and values, so views are extraordinarily flexible. I'm still getting
by bearings on the "best" way to store certain kinds of data - I have
a hunch that different schema/view styles may turn out to be more
efficient than others.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson