couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Guby <guby.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Updating views on save
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:04:31 GMT
Hello dear Couchers

I understand that the views are indexed the first time they are
accessed and as far as I know there is no way to turn on view updating
on document save. I really don't understand the reasoning behind this
behavior. The advantage of the pre-populated/indexed views are that
they are blazingly fast to query and access, but that advantage
disappears when the first request after a document update has to
regenerate the view first!

I am currently building a web app where the background processes
perform a lot of writes to the database. The time it takes to write a
document is not critical for me. What is critical though is the time
it takes to load web pages for the end user that require content from
the database.
In some situations the background processes add thousands of documents
to the database within a short period of time, and when the user tries
to access a page after such an update the view querying sometimes
takes minutes and as a consequence of that the browser times out...
Not a recipe for happy customers...

The only solution I can see at the moment is to create a worker that
queries the database whenever it is told that there has been a
document update, but that seems really stupid and unnecessary. And in
my case, running on a smallish VPS, a big waste of resources having an
extra working doing something the database itself could just as well
have done. It also requires a lot of extra coding notifying the worker
whenever I update or create a document throughout my app.

I am sure you have reasons for having implemented the views the way
you have, but I would be really interested to hear why it has been
done this way!

My wishes are for an optional updating of views on save feature! In
some cases that might regenerate a view several times without it
actually being accessed in between, but that is a tradeoff I can live
with, slow views on the other hand is something I can not!

All the best
Sebastian