couchdb-user mailing list archives

From tie...@topconcepts.com
Subject Re: using couchdb as caching system
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2008 09:48:26 GMT
hi jan,

thanks for your response.

> Okay, your reasons to use CouchDB seem, erm, reasonable :)
> The only problem at the moment is that CouchDB does not
> perform any internal caching. So all reads and writes go directly
> through disk.

ok, thanks for that hint.

> While a caching layer is planned and relatively
> easy to embed, it has not been done yet. So at the moment you
> would not benefit from a lot of actual caching. In the future: Sure.
> When: I do not know.

ok... it`s opensource... everyone can do it, but actually i do not have any experience with
erlang - just read about it :-)

> You could put a reverse HTTP proxy in front of CouchDB for the
> actual caching in the meantime, though and remove it, when
> CouchDB is fast enough for your needs.

good idea! we will give it a try. but we need a proxy we can control by our application. if
page "blah" has been edited, we should cleanup the proxy-cache for the couchdb-query to get
page "blah".

squid and others do not support an application cache control - right?

greets sven