couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lazy Fulltext Search
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:11:11 GMT
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:37:30PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> The associated benefit is that you delay the costs of generation of
> indexes until you actually need them.

If you're generating indexes JIT, you can't really count them as indexes any
more, you're essentially doing regular non-indexed searching.

I would have thought that for a database the trade-off you want to make is one
where you sacrifice time/resources in bulk so that queries are lighting fast.

If you move the indexing to query time you still have to expend exactly the same
time/resources as before and you have slowed down your query response time
significantly. For large collections of documents, indexing could easily take
hours to complete.

>> My understanding is that the KEY element of CouchDB Wiews is that they are
>> generated in advance, and incrementally, before you use them.
>
> And why not use the same principle fot fulltext indexes?

I thought this was the original plan for the full text search, that the index
was built in advance and incrementally before you use it. It sounds to me like
you're suggesting a departure away from this.

Maybe I am getting confused.

--
Noah Slater - The Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>