couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@mfdz.com>
Subject Re: incremental map/reduce scope
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 04:36:40 GMT
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@prima.de> wrote:

>  On Mar 25, 2008, at 23:05 , Sho Fukamachi wrote:
>  > Has the community arrived at a kind of "best practise" for
>  > differentiating between record types? In the wiki using the key
>  > "type" is suggested, I am wondering how official this is. Not that
>  > it needs to be official, of course, but establishing some sort of
>  > convention is probably a good idea to get everyone on the same page.

My practice doesn't lend itself to convention directly, but has worked
well for me so far. Rather than specifying a document.type, I just use
Duck typing, like a good Rubyist. :)

For instance in a view I might say

if (doc.authors) {
... iterate through the authors and map them ...
}

This way documents don't have fixed types, they just have certain view
functions that apply to them. It's too soon to tell if this will
become a maintenance headache, but I think as long as my writers are
consistent, I'll do just fine with it.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com